ADVENTurous is an open submission exhibition exploring the christmas narrative, which we're staging in 3 UK venues during advent this year : at Engedi in Colwyn Bay, Leftbank in Leeds and the Union Chapel in Islington, London.

The work exhibited at Union Chapel will also be part of the one-day ‘ADVENTurous' conference, hosted by Greenbelt Festival and partners.

On this blog we'll be posting regular updates about how plans for the Leftbank Leeds show are progressing, with information about the contributing artists, and possibly some previews of the work being created for the exhibition...


Saturday, November 3, 2012

Introducing... Rachel Yates






I was attracted to the show because I am always surprised by what emerges when I create from an inspiring brief such as this. Invisible, dormant ideas are brought to life as I combine concepts, put them through the filter of creative thought processes and eventually make something tangible. It’s never what I expect! 

Sometimes my plans get rather complicated ….I had to reign things in a bit for this piece. It is smaller than I intended (I had to post it from Australia so there were logistics to consider!) and has far fewer layers – perhaps, like the story of life I was trying to depict, it isn’t finished yet……. The artwork itself has been on quite an adventurous journey! I was tempted to ask Si to leave the piece wrapped up in the brown paper I posted it in, with all the stamps and stickers of it’s journey on display. 


I really like the idea that despite living around the country and world, the artists taking part in this show are connected. And despite the fact that we may never meet, our artwork exists in relationship, in a creative dimension that hopefully transcends cultural boundaries and inspires others. My artwork seems to have a life of it’s own….without me there to explain it in as much detail as I’d like, it has to speak for itself. It’s a strange but liberating feeling.

I’m not precious about my art…..to be honest, I don’t keep most of the artworks I create. Usually I paint over the canvas again and reuse it. I remember being asked “if someone spent time in isolation creating art, then burnt everything they created, would they still be an artist?” Of course, the answer is yes. For me it’s about the process. The piece I created for ADVENTurous is on a canvas that I have used 3 times previously. The canvasses become like worn-in shoes, I don’t know why, I just like working that way!

As well as pursuing my own creative interests, I run Art and Spirituality workshops here in Oz (with some courses online at www.artillumina.wordpress.com) which hopefully inspire to develop their spirituality through artistic and creative processes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment